CivicWell (formerly the Local Government Commission) supports leaders responding to the climate crisis and its impact on their communities. As a nonprofit organization, we inspire, equip, connect, and cultivate leaders working toward a more sustainable and resilient future. We know that innovation happens when communities name their own challenges and define their own visions. Through policy guidance, collaborative partnerships, and direct assistance, we support and equip communities to bring those visions to life.
Overview of the Leadership Position
The Chief Executive Officer will be visionary, strategic, and inspirational and have a demonstrated commitment to CivicWell’s mission and values rooted in our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Lens. The new leader will have insightful listening skills and work in partnership with the Board and staff to sustain and grow the success of the programs, investments, and resources of the organization. She/He/They will build trusting relationships with the Board, staff, community collaborators and partners, along with political leaders in the counties served. The CEO must have a successful track record of strong relational leadership and management skills to oversee this complex portfolio of programs.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THE CEO – Must be able to skillfully execute ALL of the following responsibilities through the CivicWell DEI lens:
- Provide enthusiastic leadership, inspiration, strategic direction, and long-term vision for CivicWell.
- Be the champion and passionate spokesperson, ambassador, and advocate for the organization internally and externally.
- Lead and embody the commitment to diversity and equity and foster an atmosphere of inclusion, empowerment, and support.
- Possess a strong and engaging leadership style with experience partnering with staff to translate broad strategies into financial, operational, and programmatic goals and objectives.
- Be resourceful with the ability to prioritize the needs of the organization.
- Have the ability to make tough decisions and hold people accountable.
Governance, Strategy, and Planning
- Work with the Board to determine the strategic initiatives and direction of CivicWell and establish both short and long-term goals for the organization.
- Partner closely with the Board and staff to evaluate and monitor CivicWell’s relevance to the community, its effectiveness, and its impact/results.
- Keep the Board fully informed on all critical issues facing the organization and identify opportunities and challenges that need to be acted upon and addressed by them.
Management and Administration
- Provide general oversight of the day-to-day operations and ensure a high functioning, effective and smooth-running organization.
- Hire, manage, evaluate and motivate staff to achieve goals and ensure quality and value throughout all programs and operations of the organization.
- Ensure a healthy work environment that recruits, retains and supports staff and volunteers.
- In partnership with the senior management team, focus on ensuring effective supervision, guidance, development, and evaluation of staff.
- Lead, empower, and engage staff in developing, implementing and generating revenue to sustain both programs and services to meet the needs of the communities.
- Possess a collaborative management style that values the input of a knowledgeable, connected and committed Board, a strong senior staff, and an experienced and passionate program staff.
- Provide clear communication, feedback and guidance.
Community Partnerships/Public Relations
- Build and maintain key relationships and advocates on behalf of CivicWell with both public and private partners in the community.
- Possess the interpersonal skills necessary to cultivate and sustain relationships with a wide variety of constituencies, including Board members, staff, elected officials, current and potential clients, donors, and community partners.
- Listen to clients, volunteers, donors and the community in order to continuously improve the quality and effectiveness of programs and services.
- Serve as the chief spokesperson for CivicWell and initiate, develop, and maintain cooperative and trusting relationships with key constituencies.
- Work closely with legislators, regulatory agencies, others in the non-profit sector, and others, to promote policies that encourage healthy communities and address the issues the constituencies of CivicWell face.
The CEO must have a minimum of 6-8 years in a senior management/leadership role, with significant financial acumen and shares CivicWell’s DEI vision and values. She/He/They must demonstrate critical competencies in the following categories:
Knowledge/Expertise: Ideally has significant experience in one or more of the following programmatic areas, a. Climate & Energy (Elevating climate change awareness, identifying local energy solutions and supporting community climate resilience). b. Water (Fostering watershed health and advancing sustainability and equity in water policy implementation). c. Community Design (Support health, wellbeing, equity, and innovation). d. CivicSpark (Advancing community resilience and building the next generation of climate justice leaders).
Commitment to Results: Should be a systems thinker who is community focused and goal driven. She/He/They will be action oriented and innovative with the ability to translate broad goals into achievable steps.
Management/Organizational Savvy: Must possess the knowledge and understanding of building and leading high-performing teams. The CivicWell CEO must be on an individual journey to deepen their skills in diversity, equity and inclusion concepts and application. DEI training and certifications are a plus. She/He/They will also have the ability and confidence to make and delegate decisions as needed and work well under pressure.
Leading/Managing Change: Demonstrated ability to manage continuity, change, and transition. This individual knows how to influence and encourage and support others to lead. She/He/They can address the impact of attitude and action on CivicWell and its participants and to foster an environment of continual learning and innovation.
Fundraising: A track record of success in fundraising which will ensure the needed resources for CivicWell’s programs and initiatives.
The CEO Will Embody the Following Characteristics
- Intuitive communicator with both verbal and written communication skills; a leader, organizational ambassador and bridge-builder who can communicate with diverse audiences and manage diverse viewpoints in a professional and compelling manner.
- Results oriented, resourceful, proactive, strategic, and operational.
- Confidence and ability to make and delegate decisions as needed, work well under pressure, and adapt easily to changing situations and priorities. Good judgment and consensus-building skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with the Board, staff, external partners and funders.
- Self-confidence, ability to inspire creativity, curiosity, compassion, optimism and humility.
- Strong track record of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Creativity, collaboration, cutting-edge experimentation along with high integrity, trust and respect for the work and staff.
- Visionary/out of the box thinker.
- Team player and willing to go to bat for all staff.
An attractive compensation and benefits package will be provided to the successful candidate.
How to Apply
Interested candidates can apply via email by sending your resume to: Tarek Azzani, Azzani Search Consultants at email@example.com.
CivicWell is committed to workforce diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified candidates will receive full consideration without regard to age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, health status, or national origin.